header photo

Tuesday, April 5, 2011

Altoids Can Laser Pointer

I came across a 200mW green laser diode and current driver for $0.01 on eBay and I just had to buy it! Unfortunately it cost me $10 to ship the darn thing. Oh well, I decided to make a laser pointer with it and decided to house the laser in an Altoids can.


I went to radio-shack and got a AAA battery holder to provide 3v for the diode. I also got a low profile push button switch.


I just drilled a couple of holes in the can and used super glue to glue everything in place. The laser pointer works great! It is a little big though. It's nice and bright but it doesn't burn anything. booo.

4 comments:

  1. I can't see your pictures for some reason. I didn't know you were going to put it in an Altoid can...cool!

    ReplyDelete
  2. i'm not to smart when it comes to lasers, but can is there a button on the module you can just use, and just hook it up to the battery without the push button switch? i really want to make one, but i'm not to smart when it comes to lasers :S

    thanks :D

    ReplyDelete
  3. This particular laser module that I got had the diode, lens, current driver, and a push button switch all assembled together. I tried connecting the battery module directly to the wires that were already attached to it. However when I did that, the laser turned on without pushing the switch. In order to use the built in button, I think you would have to attached the battery to the red wire and the spring.

    ReplyDelete